What license do I need?
When you download a file on iStock, you're buying a standard license that lets you use the file for any personal, business or commercial purposes that aren't otherwise restricted by the license (check out the full content license agreement).
That means you can use our content in advertising, marketing, apps, websites, social media, TV and film, presentations, newspapers, magazines and books, and product packaging, among hundreds of other uses. Adding an extended license lets you use our content in even more ways.
When do I need to add an extended license?
(only available with credits)
500,000+ printed copies
- Advertising, marketing and promotional materials
- Newspapers, magazines or books
- Product packaging
- Items for resale (posters, postcards, mugs, t-shirts, etc.)
- Online print on demand products
- If multiple members of your team need to be able to access your downloaded file, you may require an extended license.
(Add a multi-seat license or contact us if you've got a subscription)
Digital templates for resale
- Electronic templates for resale: website template, brochure design template, e-greeting cards, etc.
Every file licensed comes with a $10,000 legal guarantee - that's our promise that when you use our content within the terms of our license agreement, it won't infringe on any copyright, moral right, trademark or other intellectual property right or violate any right of privacy or publicity. You can also purchase an Extended Legal Guarantee to increase that coverage to $250,000.
No matter what license you buy, you can never use iStock content for:
- Use in any logo or trademark
- Pornographic, obscene or libelous works
- Non-editorial use of editorial files
For the complete list of prohibitions, refer to the content license agreement.